®

Thread: Serious Transmission Problem Toyota Matrix (& possibly Corolla & Pontiac Vibe?)

unbearable

Default Serious Transmission Problem Toyota Matrix (& possibly Corolla & Pontiac Vibe?)

Hello everyone. It is my understanding that the Toyota Matrix, Toyota Corolla, and Pontiac Vibe have the same transmission and engine. Please be aware of a serious transmission problem on these vehicles.

It seems that many Matrix owners are having problems with a faulty transmission bearing which necessitates the transmission needing to be replaced prematurely. I believe this might also apply to Toyota Corolla and Pontiac Vibe models.

We had to replace our five-speed manual transmission on our 2004 Toyota Matrix at 98,000 miles at a cost of $3,100! Models besides the 2004 are also affected, but I don't know which ones. I sent a certified letter to the president of Toyota Motor Corp. North America. I was told since there is no recall, I would not be compensated.

It is important to notify affected owners about this problem before their life is endangered when the car breaks down without warning on a 70 mile-per-hour highway. This is what happened to me.

There are numerous reports of Toyota Matrix 5-speed transmission failures due to a defective transmission bearing. I don't believe a manual transmission should need to be replaced at 98,000 miles. Some vehicle owners have had it happen at less mileage. The regional manager of the repair shop I took it to said he has seen this problem before, and he believes there will be a recall. At this time, Toyota will not compensate Matrix owners for this very expensive defect.

Thank you!

NM5K

Default Serious Transmission Problem Toyota Matrix (& possibly Corolla &Pontiac Vibe?)

Why don't they just replace the bearing, instead of the whole
    transmission? Seems like overkill..
    My Corolla is an automatic.. But it's stories like these that
    prompt me to change the fluid/oils in these devices..
    I just did a dump and refill twice on mine a week or two ago.
    Fluid looks pretty clean and red now. It wasn't horrible before
    I dumped it, but had kind of an orange twang to it.. I dumped
    and refilled it twice in a period of a couple of days.
    Have enough fluid to do it again, but I'll probably wait another
    5000 miles and change it again with the next oil change.
    Mine has a recall on the ECU.. I still haven't bothered to
    get it changed out yet, and they have sent me 3-4 notices so far.

unbearable

Default Serious Transmission Problem Toyota Matrix (& possibly Corolla &Pontiac Vibe?)

Hi NM5K. I am not sure, but I think the bearing comes loose and somehow destroys the transmission. When this happened to me, the car was not functional at all. Maybe it would not happen if the bearing was replaced before it gets loose or whatever it is that happens.

I think it is good you changed the fluid early. I hope it helps. Over thirty people who signed the petition said the same thing happened to their vehicle. I believe one of them had an automatic transmission.

NM5K

The throwout bearing in my 68 Ford F-250 makes noise
    when it starts getting hot.. And I had replaced the
    clutch and bearing when I replaced the engine back around
    2002 or whenever it was..
    You can prolong the life of it if you only use it when
    actually shifting. Anytime you are sitting still for
    any period of time, put it in neutral and let the clutch
    out. That's what I do with my truck.. It's when it's held
    in for long periods of time that it starts squealing a bit.
    In that truck, changing that bearing is not that big a deal..
    You just yank the tranny out a ways, slap a new one on, and
    re-stab it.. Must be brain damage on the typical side mounted
    engine to command such a high fee to change it. The bearing
    itself shouldn't cost all that much.. Or at least it wouldn't
    for the Ford.. Mine has a lifetime warranty, same as the clutch.
    So I can get a free one if I ever work up the motivation to
    yank the tranny. I wouldn't be holding your breath waiting for
    this.. I'm getting to where I hate working on vehicles
    more and more every year..

I had the same problem and nearly had an accident at 80 mph. Please! Please! Please! File a safety complaint with the government to force a recall.
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/