®




Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 2011 Subaru Outback Differential oil change question

  1. #1
    AD
    Guest AD's Avatar

    Default 2011 Subaru Outback Differential oil change question

    On Dec 3, 9:18.pm, gaf...@theShire.org wrote:
    > 2011 subaru outback 3.6R . Why does subaru require front and rear
    > differential oil change every 15,000 miles? .I just called dealer to
    > schedule service and they told me this is required by subaru. .I have never
    > heard of changing diff oil every 15,000 in any vehicle I've ever owned. and
    > $68.00 .x2 .every 15K seems very high price to pay. They told me that if I
    > have problem with differential and oil has not been changed as required that
    > subaru would void warranty....I am thinking to either have it done somewhere
    > else or disregard altogether.


    If you put synthetic in you might be able to disregard the front diff
    but I would do the rear at least every 40k miles or so.

    GL-5 in the rear I'd guess
    the front probably could stomach GL-5 as well since 3.6R never got a
    stick shift,
    not in the states anyway any anyone outside the us of a is likely
    driving a turbo anyhow

  2. #2
    Basia
    Guest Basia's Avatar

    Default 2011 Subaru Outback Differential oil change question

    On Dec 5, 3:44.am, AD <isq...@..........> wrote:
    > On Dec 3, 9:18.pm, gaf...@theShire.org wrote:
    >
    > > 2011 subaru outback 3.6R . Why does subaru require front and rear
    > > differential oil change every 15,000 miles? .I just called dealer to
    > > schedule service and they told me this is required by subaru. .I have never
    > > heard of changing diff oil every 15,000 in any vehicle I've ever owned. and
    > > $68.00 .x2 .every 15K seems very high price to pay. They told me that if I
    > > have problem with differential and oil has not been changed as required that
    > > subaru would void warranty....I am thinking to either have it done somewhere
    > > else or disregard altogether.

    >
    > If you put synthetic in you might be able to disregard the front diff
    > but I would do the rear at least every 40k miles or so.


    Subaru makes cars bigger and bigger, heavier and heavier
    but the differentials seem to stay the same, at least oil
    capacity wise. My 2000 Impreza L Coupe's curb weight is
    2,730 pounds, while the 2013 3.6R Legacy's number is 3,496,
    the behemoth Outback Wagon 3.6R's is 3,647.

    That is a 34% weight increase from 2000 Impreza to the
    2013 Outback, but if I am correct the same 0.8L oil capacity
    in rear differential. The front may or may not be different than
    1.3L in my Impreza. Check your manual for capacities.

    No wonder they require severe service intervals at 15,000 miles.
    Even with synthetic gear lube, if it is not already required,
    like synthetic engine oil in all new Subarus, I would not stretch
    it too much especially if there is any mountain, or high speed
    driving.

    The new 2014 Forester too is supposed to be bigger and heavier.

    Basia


    > GL-5 in the rear I'd guess
    > the front probably could stomach GL-5 as well since 3.6R never got a
    > stick shift,
    > not in the states anyway any anyone outside the us of a is likely
    > driving a turbo anyhow

  3. #3
    AD
    Guest AD's Avatar

    Default 2011 Subaru Outback Differential oil change question

    On Dec 5, 4:58.pm, Basia <abjj...@..............> wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 3:44.am, AD <isq...@..........> wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 3, 9:18.pm, gaf...@theShire.org wrote:

    >
    > > > 2011 subaru outback 3.6R . Why does subaru require front and rear
    > > > differential oil change every 15,000 miles? .I just called dealer to
    > > > schedule service and they told me this is required by subaru. .I have never
    > > > heard of changing diff oil every 15,000 in any vehicle I've ever owned. and
    > > > $68.00 .x2 .every 15K seems very high price to pay. They told me that if I
    > > > have problem with differential and oil has not been changed as required that
    > > > subaru would void warranty....I am thinking to either have it done somewhere
    > > > else or disregard altogether.

    >
    > > If you put synthetic in you might be able to disregard the front diff
    > > but I would do the rear at least every 40k miles or so.

    >
    > Subaru makes cars bigger and bigger, heavier and heavier
    > but the differentials seem to stay the same, at least oil
    > capacity wise. .My 2000 Impreza L Coupe's curb weight is
    > 2,730 pounds, while the 2013 3.6R Legacy's number is 3,496,
    > the behemoth Outback Wagon 3.6R's is 3,647.
    >
    > That is a 34% weight increase from 2000 Impreza to the
    > 2013 Outback, but if I am correct the same 0.8L oil capacity
    > in rear differential. .The front may or may not be different than
    > 1.3L in my Impreza. .Check your manual for capacities.
    >
    > No wonder they require severe service intervals at 15,000 miles.
    > Even with synthetic gear lube, if it is not already required,
    > like synthetic engine oil in all new Subarus, .I would not stretch
    > it too much especially if there is any mountain, or high speed
    > driving.
    >

    I wonder how well dry sumping would work with marginally heavier
    GL-4/5 oils.
    me thinks beefing up the capacity of differentials would further
    increase the weight
    and will, possibly, cut into the ground clearance

    strange as it seems running the undercarriage through the wind tunnel
    and optimizing the cooling of the case might be cheaper than
    increasing complexity or case capacity, a computer simulation of
    that would be cheaper yet as I don't expect the same kind of diligence
    from FHI
    as from europeans

    having fins on top of the case where it won't be smashed by debris
    seems
    like one way to go as long as you can pump some air there at
    0.000000001 through 75 mph speeds
    that a typical car sees most the time

  4. #4
    Your Name
    Guest Your Name's Avatar

    Default 2011 Subaru Outback Differential oil change question

    Sort-of on the subject of oils ...

    If corn oil is made from corn, vegetable oil is made from
    vegetables, fish oil is made from fish, olive oil is made
    from olives, peanut oil is made from peanuts, coconut oil
    is made from coconuts, and cod liver oil is made from cod
    livers, then what is baby oil made from?

    ;-)

  5. #5
    AD
    Guest AD's Avatar

    Default 2011 Subaru Outback Differential oil change question

    On Dec 11, 11:14.pm, YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name) wrote:
    > Sort-of on the subject of oils ...
    >
    > . . If corn oil is made from corn, vegetable oil is made from
    > . . vegetables, fish oil is made from fish, olive oil is made
    > . . from olives, peanut oil is made from peanuts, coconut oil
    > . . is made from coconuts, and cod liver oil is made from cod
    > . . livers, then what is baby oil made from?
    >

    out of real girl scouts :^)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •