®




Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

  1. #11
    Jinx Minx
    Guest Jinx Minx's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    "sf" <sf@geemail.com> wrote in message
    news:v97c26pmh6eonabpdshuj64mvivmdsphuu@...........
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:03:01 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <jinxminx2..........m>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I think switching to freezing sauce has been my single
    >> most effective kitchen saver in terms of time, prep, cupboard space and
    >> always having something good on hand for days with chaotic schedules or
    >> impromptu guests.

    >
    > Do you have a stand alone freezer or just the one that came with your
    > refrigerator.
    >


    Just the one in the refrigerator, but I've cotemplated buying a smaller
    standalone. I've really switched how I do things over the past few years,
    though, so I'm not sure an additional freezer is essential at this point.

    J.

  2. #12
    sf
    Guest sf's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:04:12 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <jinxminx2..........m>
    wrote:

    >
    > "sf" <sf@geemail.com> wrote in message
    > news:v97c26pmh6eonabpdshuj64mvivmdsphuu@...........
    > > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:03:01 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <jinxminx2..........m>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I think switching to freezing sauce has been my single
    > >> most effective kitchen saver in terms of time, prep, cupboard space and
    > >> always having something good on hand for days with chaotic schedules or
    > >> impromptu guests.

    > >
    > > Do you have a stand alone freezer or just the one that came with your
    > > refrigerator.
    > >

    >
    >
    > Just the one in the refrigerator, but I've cotemplated buying a smaller
    > standalone. I've really switched how I do things over the past few years,
    > though, so I'm not sure an additional freezer is essential at this point.
    >

    I didn't replace my stand alone freezer when it died of old age. The
    refrigerator freezer only concept keeps me from over buying, but it
    also keeps me from making the large quantities of stock that I used to
    make. I make tomato sauce on an as needed basis and not in mass
    quantities, but I sure miss all the stock I used to have. It was
    really nice to be able to just thaw out a quart to make a rich soup on
    the spur of the moment. I've let strawberry season pretty much run
    it's course and haven't made any freezer jam either.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  3. #13
    cshenk
    Guest cshenk's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    "Sqwertz" wrote

    > They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be specific,
    > and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?) can.


    I'm generally with Classico or Bertoli but there's another one (I'm out now
    and forgot the name) from BJ's that I get when I see it. Less known name
    brand but good taste and lower sodium.

    I've got a big pot of tomato sauce right now. 'Semi-home made' (grin) with
    red gold tomatoes (some whole, some crushed, some sauced) as the base.
    Added your normal suspects in spices.

    The only objection I have to the DelMonte and Hunts, is they are very high
    on the sodium scale.

  4. #14
    Jinx Minx
    Guest Jinx Minx's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    "sf" <sf@geemail.com> wrote in message
    news:8mac265vgvdddlbsuodrs4cqta5k3qneb4@...........
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:04:12 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <jinxminx2..........m>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "sf" <sf@geemail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:v97c26pmh6eonabpdshuj64mvivmdsphuu@...........
    >> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:03:01 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <jinxminx2..........m>
    >> > wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> I think switching to freezing sauce has been my single
    >> >> most effective kitchen saver in terms of time, prep, cupboard space
    >> >> and
    >> >> always having something good on hand for days with chaotic schedules
    >> >> or
    >> >> impromptu guests.
    >> >
    >> > Do you have a stand alone freezer or just the one that came with your
    >> > refrigerator.
    >> >

    >>
    >>
    >> Just the one in the refrigerator, but I've cotemplated buying a smaller
    >> standalone. I've really switched how I do things over the past few
    >> years,
    >> though, so I'm not sure an additional freezer is essential at this point.
    >>

    > I didn't replace my stand alone freezer when it died of old age. The
    > refrigerator freezer only concept keeps me from over buying, but it
    > also keeps me from making the large quantities of stock that I used to
    > make. I make tomato sauce on an as needed basis and not in mass
    > quantities, but I sure miss all the stock I used to have. It was
    > really nice to be able to just thaw out a quart to make a rich soup on
    > the spur of the moment. I've let strawberry season pretty much run
    > it's course and haven't made any freezer jam either.
    >
    > --
    > Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.


    Same here. I used to stock up on meat when it was on sale, only to end up
    throwing half of it out because it'd get too old or freezerburnt before I'd
    use it up. I really wasn't a good meal pre-planner, so I'd find that I'd
    end up going to buy fresh meat at the last minute instead of thawing out
    something I had frozen. I also cut back/stopped buying pre-packaged frozen
    things mostly because I was always disappointed in them. It just wasn't
    worth it to devote any more space (or money) to them. So now I have a ton
    more space to devote to freezing things I actually will use often, like
    spaghetti sauce. My stocks I still make fresh. Honestly I've never really
    given much thought of making them to freeze for later, but I might have to
    try that soon. In fact, making chicken stock is on the agenda for this
    afternoon for my mom's chicken noodle soup I haven't made in awhile
    (assuming I'll be able to find the right noodles at the store). It's
    generally a winter thing, but with all the storms we've had lately and more
    predicted for this evening, I'm in the mood for it.

    Jinx

  5. #15
    J. Clarke
    Guest J. Clarke's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On 6/26/2010 10:01 AM, James Silverton wrote:
    > Melba's wrote on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:16:20 -0500:
    >
    >>> They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be
    >>> specific, and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?)
    >>> can.

    >
    >> I think Cook's Illustrated came to the Hunt's conclusion
    >> several years ago. I try to keep a couple cans at hand in
    >> case I need to stretch my homemade stuff. It's hard to beat
    >> the price, that's for sure.

    >
    > I rather like Trader Joe's various varieties if I can't raise the very
    > small amount of energy to make Marinara sauce. The only problem is that
    > I often cook for myself and bottled sauces tend to develop mold even in
    > the fridge. I have found that a jar of sauce can be frozen and (gently)
    > softened in the microwave, so that I can remove enough to heat up.


    Have you tried freezing it in an ice cube tray then dumping out and
    bagging the cubes? Can give you easier portion control.

  6. #16
    Sqwertz
    Guest Sqwertz's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:57:11 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >> They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be specific,
    >> and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?) can.

    >
    > Those are ..... And price has nothing to do with it, ALL
    > jarred/canned pasta sauces are .....


    How do you feel about canned meat?

    -sw

  7. #17
    sf
    Guest sf's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:53:40 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <jinxminx2..........m>
    wrote:

    > In fact, making chicken stock is on the agenda for this
    > afternoon for my mom's chicken noodle soup I haven't made in awhile
    > (assuming I'll be able to find the right noodles at the store). It's
    > generally a winter thing, but with all the storms we've had lately and more
    > predicted for this evening, I'm in the mood for it.


    I can sympathize, we've had unusually cool weather for this time of
    year so I've been making Fall/Winter dishes too.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  8. #18
    Sqwertz
    Guest Sqwertz's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:53:40 -0500, Becca wrote:

    > When Consumer Reports tested jarred sauces, Preggo was their top pic,
    > but their "value" choice was Hunt's.


    My faith in CR just dropped 20 points. They are not culinary
    experts at all. They should stick to gizmos that can be measured
    scientifically.

    -sw

  9. #19
    Sqwertz
    Guest Sqwertz's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:41:48 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

    > I'll have to try them at some point. Personally I've found the Classico
    > line of jar sauces to be quite good.


    I buy their non-tomato sauces sometimes. But I like the
    simplicity of the Hunts and Del Monte. There wqas something about
    one of the Calssico tomato sauces like (tasted burned, or too
    chunky, or something)

    -sw

  10. #20
    Jinx Minx
    Guest Jinx Minx's Avatar

    Default Cooking: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    "Pete C." <aux3.DOH.4@snet.net> wrote in message
    news:4c263e2a$0$11503$ec3e2dad@unlimited.usenetmon ster.com...
    >
    > "J. Clarke" wrote:
    >>
    >> On 6/26/2010 10:01 AM, James Silverton wrote:
    >> > Melba's wrote on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:16:20 -0500:
    >> >
    >> >>> They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be
    >> >>> specific, and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?)
    >> >>> can.
    >> >
    >> >> I think Cook's Illustrated came to the Hunt's conclusion
    >> >> several years ago. I try to keep a couple cans at hand in
    >> >> case I need to stretch my homemade stuff. It's hard to beat
    >> >> the price, that's for sure.
    >> >
    >> > I rather like Trader Joe's various varieties if I can't raise the very
    >> > small amount of energy to make Marinara sauce. The only problem is that
    >> > I often cook for myself and bottled sauces tend to develop mold even in
    >> > the fridge. I have found that a jar of sauce can be frozen and (gently)
    >> > softened in the microwave, so that I can remove enough to heat up.

    >>
    >> Have you tried freezing it in an ice cube tray then dumping out and
    >> bagging the cubes? Can give you easier portion control.

    >
    > Ice cube trays are a bit small for freezing something like spaghetti
    > sauce. The semi-disposable plastic containers are available in sizes in
    > the 1-2 cup range and are probably a better choice.


    Seriously, quart sized freezer ziplocs work the best. Lay them flat to
    freeze and then you can stick them in small cracks between other frozen
    items. Laying them flat to freeze was the best tip I ever picked up
    ere -- definitely one of those Duh Why Didn't I Think of That moments.

    Jinx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •